It was aaaaaalmost two years ago when we last saw Shriekback having one of their regular bouts of album recording, of which they are both successful and abundant. The last 16 years have seen what I’ll call six canonical Shriekback albums in addition to more “side projects” and and archival reissues than I can begin to name here. Back then, Shriekback were using the Indiegogo platform for album 15. The band wanted to get together in a room the old fashioned way to see what would result and their fans pledged $45K to overtake their $35K budget. And it was a corker. So what could go wrong now? We might instead ask what has gone right.
For starters, the last year has seen a pandemic sweep the world in the last year, so the bitter irony is that Shriekback now have to record in their separate locations and minimize any physical collusion. And exactly none of the former big money levels of buy-in sponsorship [visit in the studio, intimate gigs] that go a long way for meeting the goal are now possible. They are off the table. Bummer.
So what’s a plucky band, still in their creative prime and raring to go going to do? Well, the Shrieks have now cannily enabled crowdfunding on their own website, so no longer will 5-to-whatever percent of the take go to overhead. Sure, sure. The 800 lb. gorillas of crowdfunding have a big presence, but you can get lost there trying to find that special band worthy of your love. And Shriekback by now have cultivated a reliable fan base who knows the score and keeps them off the streets, working productively. I’ve tossed a few shekels in their direction in spite of my Monastic vows of poverty. Happily! So they are going it alone this time to raise £30K [$42,309.60] in the next 28 days.
So what are the perks to net the desired moolah? A wide variety of buy-ins for any budget, of course.
- £20 – Your basic pre-release CD/DL of album
- £40 – CD/DL + handmade postcard to you [I opted for this level the last time]
- £50 – CD/DL + BONUS 3xCD level – Live in 80s NYC with early-mid 80s’ concerts from fine clubs like Danceteria, Peppermint Lounge, and The Ritz on ye olde silver discs, autographed by the band! Exclusively available with this level.
- £80 – CD/DL + BOOK: Shriekback – Selected Lyrics. Annotated by Andrews/Marsh and autographed by the gents
- £85 – CD/DL/Postcard + 1 HOUR ZOOM CHAT with band for [<12 people]
- £90 – CD/DL/Postcard + HOLY RELIC. An object of resonance from the band. Sweaty stageware. A studio tracklist from “Big Night Music.” Lyric sketches.
- £100 – CD/DL + HANDWRITTEN LYRIC [of your choice]
- £300 – CD/DL + COMMISSIONED 2 MIN SONG to your title
- £300 – CD/DL + VINYL LP of album #16, signed and numbered [only 100 avail.] with YOUR NAME on the sleeve.
None of the super big ticket [£1K + up] items like special shows or studio visits this time. So they’ve got to make up with quantity. The last time they than 450 fans kicking in an average of $100. But that included multi thousand dollar “executive level” packages that go a long way to covering financial goals. They will beed more fans buying in to make up for it. So tell one and all.
I’m excited the most by the package with the three bonus discs from the NYC concerts they had in the 80s. But I’ve got 28 days to pledge, and that’s $70 on my end. That’s probably not in the budget this time. In the end I will probably opt for the basic CD. I can do that much. What about you? If you’re in, then hit that banner below and put your money where your mouth is.