Here are the music purchases of 2021 quantified in some detail. Check the 2021 cover grid dropdown to just see a grid of the cover images.
- T42 [Featuring Peter Godwin]: Images Of Heaven [Extended Razormaid Mix] – Emergency Hearts – eH79c – US – DL – Bandcamp/$3.00
- Duran Duran: Five Years – S-Curve/Tape Modern Records – US – DL – iTunes/$1.29
- Rusty Egan Presents Shock: R.E.R.B. [2010 mix] – The Global Party – US – DL – iTunes/$1.29
- Lyric: Perspective – US – CD EP – Ingles/$7.98
A nice, slow month of scant music coming in. There was a new Peter Godwin performance that came to my attention, and another in Duran Duran’s seemingly endless series of Bad David Bowie Covers®. I finally got the DL of the 2010 mix of “R.E.R.B.,” before it was too late! And finally, I got the CD of a local artist I liked that was sold exclusively in a…local supermarket chain??
- Rupert Hine: Waving, Not Drowning DLX RM – Voiceprint – MPVP004CD – UK – CD – Gift
- Rupert Hine: The Wildest Wish To Fly DLX RM – Voiceprint – MPVP007CD – UK – CD – Gift
- Quantum Jump: Quantum Jump DLX RM – Voiceprint – MPVP012CD – UK – CD – Gift
- Quantum Jump: Barracuda DLX RM – Voiceprint – MPVP013CD – UK – CD – Gift
- Various: Songs For Tibet: The Art Of Peace [Wisdom. Action. Freedom.] – The Art Of Peace Foundation – AOP10009 – US – 2xCD – Gift
- Khruangbin: Mordechai – Dead Oceans – DOC193 – US – CD – Harvest Records/$12.98
- Strange Cruise: Strange Cruise DLX RM – Cherry Pop – CRPOP 144 – UK – CD – Gift
- Sparks: Gratuitous Sax + Senseless Violins DLX RM – BMG – BMGCAT410TCD – EURO – 3xCD – Discogs/$14.99
- LaBelle: Lady Marmalade – Sony Music Entertainment – US – DL – iTunes/$1.29
- John Otway + Wild Willy Barrett: DK50/80 – U-Vibe Records – US – DL- iTunes/$0.99
- Anum Preto: Outros Planos – Miado Rouco Records – MRS001 – BRAZIL – DL – Bandcamp/$0.73
- Anum Preto: Escala Do Tempo – Miado Rouco Records – MRS002 – BRAZIL – DL – Bandcamp/$0.73
- Anum Preto: Perdendo Os Meus Nervos – Miado Rouco Records – MRS003 – BRAZIL – DL – Bandcamp/$0.73
- Anum Preto: 2027 – Miado Rouco Records – MRS004 – BRAZIL – DL – Bandcamp/$0.73
- Anum Preto: Retrado – Miado Rouco Records – MRS005 – BRAZIL – DL – Bandcamp/$0.73
- Anum Preto: Anum Preto – Miado Rouco Records - BRAZIL – DL – Bandcamp/$0.73
- Anum Preto: Consequências – Miado Rouco Records – BRAZIL – DL – Bandcamp/$0.73
- Anum Preto: Ponto de Mutação – Miado Rouco Records – BRAZIL – DL – Bandcamp/$0.73
- Anum Preto: Além Do Bem E Do Mal – Miado Rouco Records – BRAZIL – DL – Bandcamp/$0.73
- Tot Taylor: I’ll Go My Own Way – The Campus – Campus 7 – UK – 7″ – gift
- Tot Taylor: This New ABBA Record – The Campus – Campus12 – UK – 7″ – gift
A lot of gifts this month for the influx. Large chunks of the Rupert Hine catalog heretofore out of my reach are now in it, thanks to a generous reader. And one of the commenters here, Michael Schwenko, noting that I still had not heard the “Strange Cruise” album yet in a recent discussion [I did own both singles] discovered that he had unknowingly bought two copies, and then sent his extra to me! Astounding. And then another reader, had frieds who had been served promos of recent Tot Taylor 45s. Not their cup of tea. Would I like them? Of course!
I did pay out for a few things. My spouse dropped the heavy hint that she wanted to hear some Khruangbin and I responded. I woke up with Labelle in my head and discovered that the mind-stunning John Otway/Wild Willy Barrett song DK50/80, which had haunted me for 41 years and was scarce in The States was in fact in the iTunes store… for the discount rate! So booyah! Sometimes we buy songs in iTunes when there’s no easy forward and we have the itch. Of course, I still have the 45 on my want list!
Finally, I responded to the emails from Anum Preto that I’d been getting for over a year after buying/reviewing their debut album and was confronted with the ability to buy their entire discography on Bandcamp for one low price, so I didn’t even think about it. I just hit “buy” since I really enjoyed their exploration of the Post-Punk mood and sound courtesy of one-man-band Aerson Moeira.
I can’t help but notice already that 14/25 titles this year have been, gulp, DLs! Could this have anything to do with the fact that we have finally gotten a [old/used/cheap] flat screen HDTV set in our formerly analog CRT home??! Is This Monk finally embracing the early noughts??!! Stay tuned for more paradigm shifts as they occur.
- Rusty Egan Presents: Blitzed OST EP – Future Music – US – DL – iTunes/$4.99
- Divinyls: What A Life! DLX RM – Rubellan Remasters – RUBY19CD – US – CD – Rubellan Remasters/$14.99
- The Metamorph: The Man On The 99th Floor – UK – DL – Bandcamp/£4.00 [$5.55]
- Fashiøn: Fabrique De -Luxe SDLX RM – Gonzo Multimedia – MMXX – UK – 4xCD box – MusicGlue/$112.00
- Lee Fields: Faithful Man – Truth & Soul – TS018-CD – US – CD – Daptone webstore/$15.00
- Lee Fields: Let’s Talk It Over DLX RM – Truth & Soul – TS012-CD – US – CD – Daptone Webstore/gift
- Lee Fields: Emma Jean – Truth & Soul - Truth & Soul – TS026-CD – US – CD – Daptone webstore/$15.00
- Lee Fields: Special Night – Big Crown Records – BC021-CD – CD – US – CD – Daptone webstore/$15.00
- Lee Fields: Big Crown Vaults Vol. 1 – Big Crown Records – BC104-CD – US – CD – Daptone webstore/$15.00
- Visage: Your Skin Is My Sin [Antidote Extended Version] – Steve Strange Collective – SSC003 – US – DL – iTunes/$0.99
- Jan Linton + Matthew Seligman: King Hong EP – HK – DL – Bandcamp/$10.00
Wow. That’s a lot of dinero but that was down to buying the Fashiøn “Fabrique De-Luxe” ultrabox. Also, my wife wanted to scratch an itch that the soul/funk singer Lee Fields was presenting her with. And I’m very down with that too. I got the latest Rubellan Remasters CD of the ultra-version of the great 2nd Divinyls album. With all of the US/OZ tracks and then some! Finally, there was some New-Ro action with a Rusty Egan EP from the “Blitzed” documentary and a Visage remix that was only on the LP edition of “Wild Life” extended remixes having now made the leap to DL. Finally, I bought the new Jan Linton + Matthew Seligman EP. The title track is stunning vocal work of a caliber with later period JAPAN.
- Todd Rundgren + Sparks: Your Fandango – Cleopatra Records – US – DL – iTunes/$0.99
- The Wayfarers: World’s Fare – Lolita – 5050 – FR – LP – gift
- The Wayfarers: Esperanto – Lolita – 10009 – FR – blue vinyl 7″ – gift
A slow month with an unexpected Todd Rundgren/Sparks teamup of great joy. And I was fortunate enough to have gotten copies of both Wayfarers records after Cary Berger, who I’d met in 2018 at the Ron Kane Tribute concert in Los Angeles, emailed me and helpfully offered copies for my edification. The LP was on my want list ever since the L.A. trip three years ago, but the 7″ single goes for crazy money [probably thanks to it being compiled on the piratical “Hyped to Death” power pop series…] and was out of my budget. Now all I need is the Disques Du Crépuscule “Quick Neat Job” compilation with a final Wayfarers track on it to make the ultimate Wayfarers CD as a REVO disc!