Collecting Simple Minds In The 21st Century [part 2]

collecting-simple-minds[continued from previous post]

We continue listing the many singles in many territories that Simple Minds issued like dandelion seeds in the 21st century.

Part 2

simple-minds-cryeurocdaSimple Minds
Cry
EURO CD5 | Eagle Records ‎– EAGXS235 | 2002

1. Cry (Ph.I. Radio Edit) 3:30
  2. Cry (Tazz Glasgoal Remix) 6:54
  3. Cry (Charly Fath 80’2 Remix) 5:52

Europe had several unique mixes [you can see where this is going].

simple-minds-onestepclosergercdaSimple Minds
One Step Closer
BENELUX CD5 | PIAS Benelux ‎– 122.0244.122 | 2002

1. One Step Closer (Edit) 3:55
  2. New Sunrise 4:14
  3. Cry (Clubinvest Mix) 6:56

My favorite song from “Cry” was only released as a CD single in BENELUX nations. What were they thinking? Why are there not eight DJ mixes of this amazing song? We’ll see why later.

simple-minds-spacefacegercdaSimple Minds
Spaceface
GER CD5 | Eagle Records ‎– EAGXS232 | 2002

1. Spaceface 3:53
  2. New Sunrise 4:14

Germany got a CD5 of “Spaceface” with this cover. There are other ways to get “New Sunrise” on CD, so I may not need this CD.

simple-minds-newsunshinemorninggercdaSimple Minds
New Sunshine Morning
GER CD5 | Eagle Records ‎– EAGXS233 | 2002

1. New Sunshine Morning 3:36
  2. New Sunrise 4:14

“New Sunshine Morning” was the next German CD single, and it had the same B-side as “Spaceface!” This was the only territory where this song was a single.

simple-minds-spacefaceitcd5aSimple Minds
Spaceface
ITALY CD5 | Carosello Records ‎– CARSH045-2 | 2002

1. Spaceface (Stonebridge Radio Mix) 4:40
  2. Spaceface (Farfa Remix Edit) 3:50

Italy also had a CD5 of “Spaceface,” with a different cover and more unique mixes..

simple-minds-spacefaceit12aSimple Minds
Spaceface
ITALY 12″ | Absolutely Records ‎– ABR 027 | 2002

1. Spaceface (Stonebridge Club Mix) 7:17
  2. Spaceface (Farfa Spacemix) 9:23

Italy got this 12″ first.

simple-minds-spacefacetonkraftit12aSimple Minds
Spaceface  remix
ITALY 12″ | Absolutely Records ‎– ABR 036 | 2003

1. Spaceface (Tomcraft Remix) 5:37
  2. Spaceface (Hardakt Remix) 7:05
  3. Spaceface (Farfa Spacemix) 9:23

Then there was a remix 12″ with generic cover, early in 2003.

simple-minds-dyfamger12aWhite Spaces Feat. Jim Kerr
Don’t You [Forget About Me] [2003]
GER 12″ | Stereophonic ‎– 82876552721 | 2003

1. Don’t You (Forget About Me) (Mendoza Vs Tibet Club Remix) 6:11
  2. Don’t You (Forget About Me) (Phunk Investigation In The City Mix) 8:15
  3. Don’t You (Forget About Me) (Eyerer’s & Laib’s Radio Mix) 3:42

2003 brought a wave of new “cover versions” of “Don’t You [Forget About Me]” with Jim Kerr teaming up with White Spaces; the pop-friendly side of Italian house duo Phunk Investigation.

simple-minds-dyfam2003itcdaSimple Minds
Don’t You [Forget About Me] [2003]
ITALY CD5″ | Carosello ‎– CARSH092-2 | 2003

1. Don’t You Forget About Me (Gerret Frerichs’s Radio Mix) 3:31
  2. Don’t You Forget About Me (White Spaces Main Mix) 3:13
  3. Don’t You Forget About Me (Perky Park’s Radio Mix) 3:44
  4. Don’t You Forget About Me (Phunk Investigation In The City Mix) 8:11
  5. Don’t You Forget About Me (Original Song) 4:16

Italy got more, shorter mixes of the tune. As I’m completely bored with the song, would I like it any more with a new coat of housepaint on it? Hmmm.

Next: …More to come

This entry was posted in Core Collection, Record Collecting, Scots Rock and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Collecting Simple Minds In The 21st Century [part 2]

1. tim says:

I want the “Don’t You Forget About Me” covers tribute album, I’m sure I’ve mentioned this before. Clearly we need to have Bryan Ferry finally allow us to hear how his take on it would sound, I’m thinking EBTG (both the folky and the electronic incarnations could have fun with this), Tom Waits, yes please please please a Tom Waits cover of this, maybe Richard Hawley doing a Roy Orbison-esque take on it and the Pet Shop Boys with very special guests Bananarama with their new disco stomp medley “Don’t You Forget About Me / It’s Raining Men.”

Tim – Don’t forget Billy Idol’s version! Personally, I want a rare John Foxx + The Maths cover or nothing.

Liked by 1 person

Hey if the Pet Shop Boys can make Coldplay listenable, then why not give them a go?

• tim says:

I love their covers however for my ears the Coldplay one doesn’t work. I think it’s because of the lyrics, the PSB swim in a certain lyrical water and I just didn’t find that they could sell the Coldplay song as something that works and fits in their catalog. Hell, they even pulled off “My Girl” (which on an uber Pet Shop Boys mix of mine, “Out of the Kennel & Off of the Leash”) provides a nice intro and lead in to “Try It (I’m In Love With A Married Man). I know covers albums are often interpreted as a sign of a creative rut, I’d love to see them do an all out double album of nothing but.

I know Viva La Vida is is controversial among us “Petheads” but I still remember how much I enjoyed it Live on the Pandemonium Tour. And yes Tim, I would just love to be in the room as Chris and Neil pick the songs to cover…

New Sunshine Morning is my favorite track from Cry. It’s a real harbinger of the passion and soul that the band would begin to return to in the new millennium. The stripped down version as New Sunrise shows what a beautiful song it really is. Surrounding Jim and acoustic guitar with a faint metronome, tambourine and some lovely synth atmospherics really elevates the song.
    One Step Closer is a close second and again, a new, energized Simple Minds is emerging from the difficult 90s. Removed of Celtic influences, stadiums and the grandiose, Simple Minds can make some epic sounding music.
    I have to admit I have little time for the Hard Handbag and house mixes of Spaceface. The dense shuffle groove of the album cut is fine for me. Stonebridge doesn’t mess too much with the track but it looses its edge with a 4/4 house beat.

Echorich – Finally! Someone who has heard some of these mixes weighs in! This stuff was just so Eurocentric that trying to buy it when it came out was completely out of my financial reach. Particularly at that time in my life. By now it’s possible to buy some of this from Americans at quarters on the Euro, so I may investigate.