Ferry Comes Within Striking Distance; Monk Takes Bait!

"Raise your hands, Brethren!" Bryan Ferry on 2014 Avonmore tour

“Raise your hands, Brethren!” Bryan Ferry on 2014 Avonmore tour

As long-term readers may remember, the last time I saw Bryan Ferry in the flesh, he was not singing, but speaking about his career in 2014 in Chicago at the Museum Of Contemporary Art. That was fun to see for a big change, but it’s been 15 years since I last saw Ferry perform on two dates of the Roxy Music Reformation tour back in 2001. There’s been a lot of water under the bridge since then, and when my wife told me last Saturday morning that she had found a suitable anniversary present for me and said that Ferry was in Nashville at the Ryman Auditorium on August 2nd, we had our tickets within 15 minutes.

Bryan Ferry | Avonmore 2016 UK/Europe/North American Tour

Mon 3 Oct | Martiniplaza, Groningen, Netherlands
Wed 5 Oct | Koninklijk Theater Carré, Amsterdam, Netherlands
Fri 7 Oct | Den Atelier Sarl, Luxemburg, Luxembourg
Sun 9 Oct | Kursaal, Oostende, Belgium
Tue 11 Oct | Stadsschouwburg, Antwerpen, Belgium
Thu 13 Oct | Capitole, Gent, Belgium

I have to admit that I’ve sort of lost the plot when it comes to Ferry albums in the last decade or so. Following 2002’s “Frantic,” I only have the CEBS↑ of “Olympia,” which I bought for a fraction of its cost. I should definitely make some moves on obtaining at least “Avonmore.” When Ferry releases an album without a model a fraction of his age [71, since you’ve asked] on the cover he needs positive feedback! Even so, that leaves “Dylanesque” “The Jazz Age,” and “Yellow Cocktail Music” as examples of his creativity with interpretation. Sigh. It used to be that I could walk into a music store and buy such releases. As simple as that. To get any of these would require mail order now.

This will be the first time that I attend a show at the legendary Ryman Auditorium, the cradle of country music. The medium sized auditorium [2362 capacity] looks intimate enough that our tickets will hopefully be providing a view of the performers. The tour was announced in February, so at this point, I am happy to have tickets at all! This will mark the seventh time I’ve seen Ferry sing, either without without Roxy Music. Which tours have I seen?

• Mamouna | Atlanta, Georgia 1994 1st leg
  • Mamouna | Tampa, Florida 1995 2nd leg
  • Mamouna | Orlando, Florida 1995 2nd leg
  • As Time Goes By | Las Vegas, Nevada 1999
  • Roxy Music Reunion | Camden, New Jersey 2001
  • Roxy Music Reunion| Atlanta, Georgia 2001
  • Avonmore |  Nashville, Tennessee 2016

The truth of the matter is that Ferry is getting up in age so the time when he’s not going to be trodding the boards all over the world is probably sooner than later. For the record, so am I! Given that I initially waited 20 years [an eternity then, a blink of an eye now]  from hearing and liking Ferry to actually seeing him perform, I suspect that this will be my exit point from the bus. Seven times seeing him sing [with a bonus panel discussion round!] sounds like a nice, round number for a life spent paying attention to his intriguing music. Join us in August for the rundown.

Criminally Expensive Boxed Set

This entry was posted in Core Collection and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Ferry Comes Within Striking Distance; Monk Takes Bait!

1. SimonH says:

A wise decision, really enjoyed the gig I saw last year, the first half was a refreshingly unpredictable selection of songs with many sublime moments. He took chances with an audience mainly there for the hits. The voice has of course changed but this is still Bryan Ferry!

SimonH – The last Ferry solo show was my favorite. When I saw the tour was hitting Las Vegas, I thought we should fly out for it. It was inexpensive to fly from Orlando into Las Vegas and back then I was at my earning peak, anyway! I fondly recall the time I could hop on a plane and and fly across the country for a show. The set list encompassed incredible deep cuts like “Sunset” from “Stranded!” That was when Ferry first hooked up with Colin Good and the tour had a great jazz band for the album of that period.

• SimonH says:

Actually looking back at the setlist now, it was the first two thirds…Stronger Through the Years was a highlight that sticks in my mind, v dark and powerful. It goes without saying the band is amazing, one of his best I’d say.

2. Taffy says:

Seeing Bryan Ferry in Boston next month…my first time ever (had tickets for the Avonmore tour but the Boston date got cancelled). So excited, hoping his voice holds out and the setlist meets with Taffy-approval. We’ll have to compare experiences.

Taffy – I remember discussing your Ferry difficulties earlier. One hopes that this show will happen. I’d hate to think that Morrissey had competition for his cancelled show championship. Best of luck!

That Boston show’s cancellation was, unfortunate for Taffy, but fortunate for me as Ferry, who was suffering from a cold/flu had enough time to rest his chords and was on form again for NYC. There was a lot of talk about the NYC show being cancelled as well, but in the end we were lucky and Ferry was up to the task.

Echorich – It’s got to be maddening when singers travel and must stay strong and preserve their voices while navigating the plethora of virulent disease out there amid the great unwashed public. Who are unavoidable during a tour.

I had the wonderful privilege to see Ferry last on October 1, 2014, at the Beacon Theater in NYC, on the initial American leg of the Avonmore Tour. It was a privilege because I was in the company of my long time concert going companion Patty and absolutely Ferry’s #1 fan, my friend and international traveling partner Jocelyn. The NYC show brought in “Ferry Travelers” – they are quite a large music fan subset – from the UK, Norway, Netherlands, Brazil, France. Many of us gathered in a nearby pub on Columbus Avenue after the show to revel in its wonder. Seeing Ferry over the last almost 30 years, both solo and with Roxy Music, has always been an event – best memory, Ferry’s after party at MK in Madison Park after the second night of his two nights at Radio City Music Hall on the Bette Noire Tour.
    Last time out, Ferry was so very engaged and the song selection was wonderful from Editions Of You and Tara to Loop de Li, Kiss and Tell and the ever embarrassingly schmaltzy cover of Jealous Guy (oh the pains of Bryan’s Whistle). He has a crack band surrounding him so I think you are in for a treat Monk! If you get one song from Avonmore I missed last time around I hope it’s Driving Me Wild.

4. I am happy to hear that his voice has been stronger on recent occasion than the last time I saw him, which from a vocal perspective was disappointing (but the program and band were of course top-notch). If he was just pointing to the words on a screen while the band played and the crowd sang it, I’d be happy with that these days.