David Bowie: 1947-2016

blackstar pic

David Bowie ca. 2015 © Jimmy King

Well, I hadn’t imagined that I was going to have to write about David Bowie’s death for at least a decade longer. Coming hot on the heels of his new, compelling “Blackstar” album which I actually bought on the day of release is perhaps more than I can cope with right now. Suffice to say I was thunderstruck by the events that I found out about this morning even as I was haunted by the title track to the “Blackstar” album all morning from the point of waking. While at the gym this morning, all I could have in my head was that song, even as the p.a. system was blaring out pop hits, including “Blue Jean” which was the furthest thing from my mind today.

I had already primed Echorich, Taffy and chasinvictoria for the massive Bowie thread that was to begin today. I had begun writing today’s post in my mind as I drove to work with “Blackstar” on repeat. I was planning on just the title track today with as much as it took to digest the rest of the album on the blog. When I arrived at work, a co-worker who knew I was buying the album last Friday asked if I’d heard the ironic news. Then he told me to my disbelief. Right now, there’s something in my eye…I can’t post any more today, but we’ll be here tomorrow with something more.

To be continued

This entry was posted in Core Collection, Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to David Bowie: 1947-2016

1. Taffy says:

I’m devastated. if it’s OK with you, this is what I posted on Facebook this morn…it’s brief but pretty much all I could muster at this moment.

look out you rock n rollers…
    David Bowie meant the world to a mixed up fucked up teenage boy. A beautiful alien rock god taught me about life, love, confusion, sex, drugs, androgyny, and music. David Bowie told me my life was going to be just fine. Boys always work it out.
    so I did.
    goodbye, sweet David. ashes to ashes, funk to funky…

2. Jordan says:

I am certainly emotional today.
    There was always a Bowie track from 1975-1981 on play in my household.
    Shell shocked.
    Now I know that the track Lazarus was about him.
    I have read his books, seen his films and videos, his exhibition,seen him live from 82-2002.
    If you were in a band that started in the late 70s, of the type of music we here listen to,it was only because of Bowie and Kraftwerk,maybe as a spark the Pistols.
    I look forward to reading your words Jim which can say more than I feel today.
    There will and can never be another David Bowie. He was truly a person from another dimension.

3. cdave2 says:

I’m out of my own words at the moment. Just joining the chorus here.

Strangely, as I was struggling with writing resumes on Friday, I came across an article entitled “Career Lessons Learned from David Bowie”: “Above all else, David Bowie’s public life has been a lesson in the importance of placing one’s own creative journey above all else.” Not a bad legacy (understatement of the century). Not at all.

cdave2 – So sorry to hear about your job issues! Crafting resumes is something I can go the rest of my life without doing again. I hope you get that behind you swiftly.

• cdave2 says:

Aw, thank you. Minor in the scheme of things, really. There have been a lot of endings these past six months; let’s look toward some new beginnings.

4. SimonH says:

I’d spent the weekend absorbing the brilliance of the new album, so when my brother called me early this morning I just couldn’t believe it and am unashamed to say I cried like a baby. Despite it being impossible to miss the ominous tone of Blackstar (although not mournful) I just didn’t think this would happen now.
    So much that I love came from Bowie in some way or another, I’m so grateful for that.
    This household is in mourning.

SimonH – Yes, it still seems surreal. The album took a few plays it get its hooks in me and it certainly earned my fealty. And to learn that he’s dead within days of buying it is almost too much to process. Hearing some of these lyrics now is unbearably poignant.

One thing for sure; I’m so glad I bought it on Friday before he died. I’m not sure I could have approached it from today’s perspective. Especially since mortality permeates “Blackstar.” This goes beyond Ian Curtis and Joy Division. I always had a problem with that band since I never heard them until after Curtis died. And there was so much baggage surrounding them. Maybe if I had been in on the ground floor, things would have been different.

• SimonH says:

Totally agree, I said to my wife that it almost seemed as if we had two days to listen to it more or less as a ‘normal’ album, after that it never would be again. It is too much to handle right now.

5. Gavin says:

I have been in tears frequently today and this news compounds an already difficult time of my life but the reaction of friends and strangers alike has been amazing.I heard the album via Spotify on release day and immediately loved it,surprising considering I loath the previous album.Finances and situation being what it is I doubt I will own the album for a while,but it is already haunting me.
    Watching The Man who fell to Earth tonight and drinking a glass or two to his memory.

I too spent all of this weekend admiring, with quite a bit of astonishment, the beauty and emotion of Blackstar. In a world where context is everything – and we are lucky when we actually have it to work with – I never really thought far enough into the negative abyss that this was a goodbye from THE ARTIST who formed my understanding of Modern Music/Popular Music – of Rock + Roll.
    If I’m honest, I knew as a young boy that I was different, had different likes, was intrigued by different things – images, sounds, people – than other kids, or people in my family. David Bowie spoke directly to all those things. I followed his Pied Piper like travels with a certain excitement an glee well into my early 20’s. His work exposed me to so many ideas both literary and musical that I still hold dear. For most of his career I felt Bowie was making music that spoke directly to me. I still do. He had his flaws, he had his disappointing releases – well to me, but this makes him all the more easy to admire. He was not the Chameleon he was describes as for decades. He never took on anyone else’s colors or styles. He was musical magician, a soothsayer, a prime mover.

7. Brian Ware says:

Yes. Been reading the tributes on Facebook. Just read lovely words from Peter Murphy and Jim Kerr. There would be no Peter Murphy or Jim Kerr without him. Now with his passing as well as Lou Reed, Bryan Ferry is the last man standing of modern rock’s holy trinity.

8. I was much too much of a wreck until recently to even begin to compose my thoughts. I could go on for days about Bowie, but in this space I will simply say this: I was lucky enough to be at the right place at the right time to have the full impact of what he brought to rock hit me square in the skull — the art, the noise, the fashion, the androgyny, everything. It completely changed my worldview, and his influence on the choices I’ve made in my life from about 10 years old on can’t be understated.

I loved his music, but I loved everything surrounding it: the makeup and hair, the clothes, the dark underbelly. He took me to lots of different places, some I liked more than others, but as he said “never boring.” Oddly, I had spent the days leading up to the release of Blackstar thinking to myself how very lucky we all are to have such a giant as Bowie around and with us, and of course listening to that amazing title track, which is still just a mind-blowing tower of song.

I never met him (met his ex Angela a few times), but I loved him. By this I mean I loved him like a beloved family member or friend, not as a faraway idol. Not the only man I ever loved, but the greatest. That he followed his muse to both great commercial and artistic success reminds us it is possible, and worth pursing to whatever extent we can. Only that and love can really make us happy.