…And One More Thing…Visage Remix Album Drops Unexpectedly

6. Become [Glass Houses & Stones Remix]
  7. Days Become Dark [Elimination Version]
  8. Never [Zambon Remix]
  9. Before You Win [Diamond Remix]
  10. Seven Deadly Sins Part Three [Darkness Version]
  11. James Grant – Heartbleed [Visage Remix]

visage - beatboyremixUKCASSAGott Im Himmel! I was alerted just minutes ago by eagle-eyed commenter Gavin that the Visage remixes we all wanted from the “Demons To Diamonds” album had in fact manifested! That was the one regret that I had listening to the new album; there would be no further world-conquering remixes as “Hearts + Knives” had given us. Instead of a series of magnificent singles, we now have something that was a Visage tradition of sorts; the special remix album. They had done that with “Fade To Grey: The Singles Collection [dance mix]” back in 1983. I bought that over a decade ago and it awaits remastering in my Record Cell. And I just found out that they had done this also with a special cassette remix version of “Beat Boy” in 1984 that I don’t hold out too much hope for ever hearing in decent quality 31 years later.

The now retitled “Darkness To Diamond” sports a remixed cover and Visage crafted remixes of all ten songs from the original album. There are two instrumental mixes included; “Sax Scene” [a.k.a. “Clubscene”] and “Star City.” The rest are in-house remixes that take the songs off in delightful, but coherent tangents that maintain fidelity to the album versions we all know and love. Synths and particularly bass lines, sound thicker here and add a chewy sonic nougat to the mixes. The Moroderesque sequencers on “Become” were particularly nice, and don’t you just love the name of that mix?

The “Aurora” remix gains a lovely, subtle “Europe Endless” vibe that I just can’t get enough of. [This is how it’s done, OMD] The decidedly funkier “Loving The Alien” sports some superbad bass work from Mr. Barnacle, and harkens back to styles not heard from Visage since the lighter moments [there were a few] on “The Anvil.” The further interpolation of sinuously funky new bass lines contrasting with the synth bass already on “Your Skin Is My Sin [Antidote Version]” is overkill of a kind I could use more of! A bonus track was added, featuring the first Visage remix for another artist, James Grant’s “Heartbleed,” which gains some tasty Robin Simon guitar. So I know what I will be doing with my next discretionary budget. This CD is available to pre-order from the Visage webstore here and now. Release date on January 8, 2016

This entry was posted in Core Collection, New Romantic, Want List and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to …And One More Thing…Visage Remix Album Drops Unexpectedly

Right, well that purchase is taken care of…I am hooked on the remix of Loving The Alien – talk about post modern remixing! There’s a funky darkness and an almost ebullient vocal from Strange! Become is made even more vital in this remix and it’s now two fingers squarely poking Mr. Ure in the eyes.
    But the most confident song from Demons To Diamonds is now a monster – Days Become Dark. Steve sounds invincible.
    I can’t wait to get my hands on this!

Echorich – Visage suggests that they have stock in hand now for sale, so you might get it before the new year. As usual, I have to wait until payday and my discretional fund to order. My budget is so tight it squeaks. I wonder how much longer the album is. No word on whether these are extended remixes or not. Since the regular album flies by, I can see this boosted to at least 60 minutes.

I get some indication from the snippets that these mixes may be remixes and alt mixes. Some of the vocals are definitely from other takes leading me to believe some are alt versions, but anything which further explores this wonderful album is something I really want to hear.

Echorich – I was also hearing alternate vocal takes employed on some of these lending this project extra cachet in my opinion. That was always how the best 12″ mixes rolled in my book, anyway.

It sounds like someone should do Mr. Ure a favor and just bury his version of Become. It was always meant to be a Visage song.

2. SimonH says:

As a fan of Scottish band Love and Money was very interested to read of the Visage link up – worth reading James Grant’s comments on his Facebook page. I respect the band’s taste in thinking of him as a collaborator, not obvious but a lot more interesting…

SimonH – I had wondered what James Grant’s pedigree was when his name surfaced. I read his story of the song but I had never heard of him previously. When I went to his Discogs page, I truthfully never noticed his Love + Money credentials. I never heard that band. I always assumed they were more bilious late 80s MOR pop. Yes, even though they were Scots!! Times were that dark, then. I have ordered “Darkness To Diamond” two days ago so I’ll report my findings when it arrives.

• SimonH says:

I think your view of Love and Money may depend on your reaction to Steely Dan, that’s an over simplification but definitely applies to their excellent Strange Kind of Love album. I love both…
        Am really enjoying Darkness, probably wouldn’t have purchased until you reopened my ears to the potential enjoyment remixes can open up, so thanks.

SimonH – Well, I grew up disliking Steely Dan as a child, but later one develops a taste for them as an adult. Bloodless, but I’m okay with that when it’s delivering such a pungent lyrical payload. I own “Aja” and “The Nightfly” but wouldn’t look askance at the rest of classic Dan if it came in my direction cheaply enough. As indeed, the other two did.

As for remixes, they have gotten much better after two decades of horror. I eagerly await my copy, which had shipped today.

3. SimonH says:

All the albums really reward many repeat plays, and I mean over a long period. I still find fresh detail in them after twenty plus years.
    My wife hates them though, probably the ‘bloodless’ thing!

4. Fredt says:

I own the Fade To Grey mixtape but never heard from the Beat Boy one…
    Google brought me to this site: http://www.nwoutpost.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=35571
    Merry and Happy to everyone on this blog.

Fredt – Welcome to the comments. Yeah, the Beat Boy remix cassette is number three with a bullet in my Visage collection sights. I wonder where the master is on that one. It would have been nice for the Cherry Pop remaster of “Beat Boy” to have had that on a 2nd CD. Now that Steve is gone, there may be commercial interest in such a move. Sad but true. I would re-buy it if it came with a clean copy of the extended version. I don’t hold out much hope for buying a tape that isn’t trashed 30 years later, though it is possible. I bought a sealed copy of this NME tape which was flawless.