New Kraftwerk Residency in US

The Kraftwerk Museum Hits the road anew… This time in Los Angeles

Kraftwerk® …Now for the Atari 2600 VCS!

Last week the emails and text messages went into overdrive when word about the new Kraftwerk residency hit the web. At first, it seemed as if the 3D residency concerts were a once-in-a-continent event, but as time marches on, so does Düsseldorf’s synthpop automatons. The MOMA series in New York City last year is now joined by another series in Los Angeles, California at the home of the L.A. Philharmonic; the admittedly dazzling Walt Disney Concert Hall as designed by Frank Gehry. This time the gents are doing a strenuous two shows a night! They had better strengthen those wrists and fingers in preparation.

Kraftwerk | Walt Disney Concert Hall 3D Concerts  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

1 Autobahn (1974), Tuesday, March 18, 7:30 PM
2 Radio-Activity (1975), Tuesday, March 18, 10:30 PM
3 Trans Europe Express (1977), Wednesday, March 19, at 7:30 PM
4 The Man-Machine (1978), Wednesday, March 19, at 10:30 PM
5 Computer World (1981), Thursday, March 20, at 7:30 PM
6 Techno Pop (1986), Thursday, March 20, 10:30 PM
7 The Mix (1991), Friday, March 21, 7:30 PM
8 Tour de France (2003), March 21, 10:30 PM

Gehry-Walt-Disney-Concert-HallThe appearance of Kraftwerk is actually part of the brilliant Minimalist Jukebox Festival which sees such leading lights of the minimalist school of New Music [not New Wave] as Terry Reich, Philip Glass, and Terry Riley airing parts of their canon as well. Well, Kraftwerk fit right into that roster and this keeps with their tony 12345678 ethos. Of course, tickets will be cussedly difficult to obtain, in keeping with the whole 12345678 zeitgeist. Interested parties may register for the ticket lottery between tomorrow morning [Dec. 3, 2013] from 10 am PST through Friday, December 6 by 11:59 pm PST. If fortune smiles on you, a reply email will be sent with a code to purchase tickets starting at Wednesday, December 11 at 10 am PST. Applicants may prioritize four shows and will be able to purchase up to four tickets in total across the series. Prices are not being discussed. If you have to ask, you can’t afford it. Phew! Sounds like more work than it’s worth.

If it was all the same to me, I’d rather buy into Philip Glass at the Festival with the “Rome” section of the Robert Wilson opera “the CIVIL warS” being performed. If this were in town, I might be motivated. I’m disappointed by Kraftwerk, but I can’t dislike them. They were too seminal for me to write them off fully. Personally, I’d be more interested in seeing what Karl Bartos has to offer his concert audience. I have a sneaking suspicion that I may find out on December 19th, when the Moogfest 2014 lineup is announced. I’d lay even odds that either Bartos or Kraftwerk may be part of the lineup for the new and improved, five-day event that the minds at Paxahau are planning along with the Moog Foundation. That will happen April 23-27 and Kraftwerk giving a 3D festival concert at said event would be a most desirable feather in their caps, following the switch last year from AC Entertainment to Paxahau in booking the event. Join me in 17 days to find out.

graphic design | software UI design | remastering vinyl • record collector • satire • non-fiction
This entry was posted in Core Collection, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to New Kraftwerk Residency in US

My head is spinning with this one…

2. chas_m says:

I think I picked “The Mix” for my top show, since that includes offerings from across their career (except the progressive part, which has been retconned into the dustbin of history apparently!) albeit re-arranged versions, but the 1991 album is in retrospect a masterpiece of updating your sound without ruining it by falling prey to excessive trendiness. My second pick would be “Trans Europa Express,” due to the sheer number of classics on board, followed by “The Man Machine” (though these two could easily be reversed and indeed may have been!) since that was the record that really nailed their new image to the wall. A full live performance of “Autobahn” would be another thrill of a lifetime, but it only got fourth pick with me amazingly. It was a real desert island disc situation there!

The later releases I listen to regularly so I’m not as eager to see them performed live, and after 1981 or so their output got kind of spotty (though I would still part with my worthless soul for a chance to hear “The Telephone Call” live, or a repeat performance of “Aerodynamik” as good as the MTV Euro Awards version, available here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsVipD7PF2A)!

chas_m – You might hear “The Telephone Call” but it won’t be Karl Bartos singing it! However, if you were to see Karl Bartos live, he is performing Kraftwerk music that he wrote and performed! Including “The Telephone Call” according to his up to the minute set lists.

My picks would be:
      1) Transfer Europe Express – just for “Europe Endless!”
      2) Autobahn – seminal single #2!
      3) The Man Machine – still contemporary!
      4) Computer World – “Numbers!”