Want List: Simple Minds – Blood Diamonds [John Foxx + The Maths remix]

Virgin | DL | 2013

Virgin | DL | 2013

Oh, wail. Oh, gnash. Oh, lament! Several months ago, I hypothesized the mash up of JF+TM and Simple Minds. At the time, I was considering a live pairing of the two, but had I been paying closer attention, I should have given even odds for what  happened first. When I got home from the trip to Athens to see Television, arriving home meant more than relaxation. It also meant wi-fi was back! We stayed at a nice place my wife found on AirB&B right where it needed to be. The only caveat was that there was no wi-fi for the first time ever. I can live with that, I thought to myself. So I did! But back home I was catching up with the world and the news hit me like a punch to the breadbasket!

John Foxx + The Maths had been building a mutual admiration society with Simple Minds in press interviews from both sides of the equation in the last year or so. I was expecting a tour together but they jumped the gun and The Maths have instead gone straight to endgame and remixed a track by Simple Minds first! “Blood Diamonds” is one of three new tracks on the “Celebration – Greatest Hits” album and Foxx and Benge have given it an injection of their analog synth magic!

I still have not heard the original mix of the song since I’ve yet to purchase the DLX three CD edition of that fine set. That’s sad, but understand that I have been committing my entertainment dollar for most of this year to various and sundry concerts that have come home to roost far and wide in the last two months. And there’s still one more road trip left to happen next month! So the day when “Blood Diamonds” nestles in my Record Cell on a CD is still a ways off.

Screen shot 2013-11-12 at 12.52.00 PMBut what makes my blood boil is that this download, which seems to be available only at Beatport and Amazon.co.uk, is not for sale to anyone outside of the UK! If there was ever a more seductive concept than my all-time favorite artist remixing my second favorite artist, then I can’t say what would be! Adding insult to injury, is that the excellent Dream Giver Simple Minds fan site claims that the download is a freebie, to boot! To in summary, John Foxx + The Maths have given their magic to Simple Minds, following their stunning turn with OMD on the “Dresden” remix earlier this year. It’s free, but I can’t hear it because I live in the wrong country! While it’s true that Simple Minds probably have less to gain from the pairing than OMD did, that doesn’t mean that I don’t want to own a copy!

My hope is that this will filter down into the physical realm within the next six months. At the very least, there is Record Store Day 2014 in April, but there’s also the next Simple Minds album which [hopefully] will filter out by that time as well. I wouldn’t say “no” to the mix being part of a DLX edition of that album when it appears. Until then, it’s sitting there on the web, causing me deep anxiety.

This entry was posted in Core Collection, Scots Rock, Want List and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Want List: Simple Minds – Blood Diamonds [John Foxx + The Maths remix]

Amazon.co.uk show’s the remixed single as n/a with a release date of 27/11/13. initially it reads like it will be a physical version, but if you go down the page it lists the mp3 version and upon clicking that it takes you back to the same screen…

Echorich – Good eye. I didn’t notice the release date snafu. Of course clicking either gives me “Not Available” where the price should be. Perhaps because of the release date. Other SM downloads on Amazon UK show the selling price and prompt me to login to buy when clicked. Hmmmm. Weird, but ultimately… Still annoying!

2. Nick says:

The Quietus have a youtube link with it so hopefully there are no US restrictions for you to at least hear it! http://thequietus.com/articles/13813-simple-minds-john-foxx-remix .

Nick – Thanks for the tip. Yes, I read The Quietus every day, and I can play the stream, but I am reluctant to even sample this now since I have not yet become familiar with the original version. Oh, how my life is a neurotic hell of delayed gratification! I’m working on these issues, though! Still, I can’t just buy the song and I’m livid over that sad fact.

3. zoo says:

Monk, I’ve listened to “Broken Glass Park” a few times on Spotify. The song is out there (legally) for all the world to hear, including you! :)

zoo – Maybe you haven’t picked up on what’s between the lines here at PPM, but I’m neurotic about how I listen to music. I don’t Spotify. I am old, no, ancient school! I like to buy music then listen to it. If I don’t like, it goes on the “sell” stack. I’d rather delay gratification for decades than have it in an instant, for “free.” It’s true. I am a “weirdo.”

This is why I never offer you music Monk, I totally get the tactile part of the gratification. After our record buying, pre SM, I have seen in action how you are willing to put down the dollars for the opportunity to decide if you like something you haven’t heard…hell I got you to buy Television’s Adventure – oh and I am hoping for your review one of these days…

Echorich – I need the eponymous “Television” release [and maybe even “Blow Up”] first for the Rock G.P.A., yes?

Blow up is great just for showing off the raw energy of Television. As mannered and art-punk as they were in the studio, they let rip live and filled the room with energy. Verlaine’s quirky vocal are snide and angry and wonderfully jaded at times. The immediacy of the from the floor recording captures all of this brilliantly.