Badges! Badges! Badges! – 1

Phew! I have been working like a fiend so the blog had been in abandonment mode for two weeks. Tonight I’m eking out enough time to give some attention to the old New Wave Badge collection. Mouse over each badge to get some explanatory text or click it to enlarge it for closer scrutiny.

The tale of how I missed out on the Ultravox Vienna US tour is legend, and many years afterward, someone who was there gave me this badge as a sop to my anguish.The Amazing Royal Crowns were a fiery rockabilly act from the 90s who I saw each time they hit Orlando. The first time they played in a lesbian bar that was basically a converted living room. By the last time I saw them there, they were opening for The Cramps at The House Of Blues! Incredible energy!Oh My. After being a SM fan for 5 years, I finally got my chance to see them on their awful "Once Upon A Time" US tour in 1986 and this badge [all I could bear to buy] is the evidence.This obscure Robert Fripp badge I bought at Record Mart Warehouse. It referred to Fripp's 3 year period from 1978 to 1981, where he kept very busy with both solo records and playing afield before resurrecting the King Crimson name with the godlike "Discipline" album.

That’s all I have time for this fine day. More badges to follow at a later time…

graphic design | software UI design | remastering vinyl • record collector • satire • non-fiction
This entry was posted in Badges and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Badges! Badges! Badges! – 1

Great stuff! I think I am gonna have to scan some of mine! Would be cool to see how many we have in common. I’m jealous already of the Blow Monkeys, Bryan Ferry and Vienna era U-Vox !!
    I scanned a decent amount of concert tickets recently, but was dismayed to see how many I can’t find or show’s I saw where there wasn’t a ticket, just cash at the door, which many clubs in NYC would do in the early 80’s.

Echorich – I have a fat box of stubs as well, but like you, for myself, the 90s was all about “pay cover at the door” and it makes it hard to reminisce without records. Also most of the bands were definitely not UK New Wave era acts, but US regional touring acts playing garage rock, actually. But I’ve got T-shirts and stubs in the ready as grist for the blog, eventually. I’ve considered just a T-shirt blog as being potentially commercial, actually.

Which is why I haven’t done it.

And don’t envy the “Vienna” enamel badge. It mocks me every time I admire it with the bittersweet sting of its pin!

I am going to put up my badge scans on my blog which has been woefully ignored for ages… I will link to you once up.
    I’m afraid that most of my concert shirts either went to friennds or my niece over the last decade. In the 80’s I was a skinny 130-135 #’s but it has been ages since I saw those days. Anything that was a men’s small or medium left my possession. My niece enjoys my Cure t’s as well as the Death Cult/Cult t’s.

3. Brian Ware says:

Great idea Mr. Monk. Just looked at some of mine and remembered those incredible displays at places like Record Mart. I mean, where else would I have gotten a Kraftwerk “Computer World”, the same pink Ultravox! pin, and my favorite – the cover of “In The Court Of The Crimson King”. Another interesting thread would be collector’s sickness in regards to things like badges. For instance, I have 35 different Split Enz pins…

4. VersionCrazy says:

Great to see these badges, something of a fan of these delightful little items myself… I snapped some pics already of some OMitD and Numan badges sometime back for my blog but somehow have never published those as yet – must dig those pics out and join in the fun!

VersionCrazy – Yes, those shiny little gems draw my eye like a crow. Who doesn’t love badges? Be sure to stop by at Echorich’s site for another helping of New Wave Badges! Get with the “in crowd” and devote some of your loving photography to capturing the little buggers.